Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Mindfulness


I've chosen my word for 2010: Mindfulness. It's a word I've come back to over and over again in the past few years, but I've never really made it my focus. Being Mindful IS about focus. "Mindfulness: the trait of staying aware; paying attention to your responsibilities; thoughtful; a meditative state of enhanced awareness.
I go to a group each Saturday and meditate with a group of like-minded women-it's the highlight of my week. I try to start each day with a short meditation, but I'm not so good at it, I have a habit of waking up and immediately going one hundred miles an hour in terms of how I plan to spend my day/unfinished business from yesterday. When I am consciously being mindful of my thoughts, feelings and actions, I slow down. I will do my best to be mindful of not getting too hungry, angry, lonely or tired. (HALT) I will be mindful of what and how I eat, I will be mindful when I am cooking my food and when I am eating it. I will do my best to be mindful of how I present myself to the outside world: of my choice of words, my dress, my attitude. An Elder once told me that his definition of spirituality is "to be pleasant". I thought that was way over-simplified initially, but on further consideration, I realize he is right. I will do my best to be mindful of the effect I have of other people. My daughter, my friends, my colleagues, my employees, my clients. when I am doing my artwork, I will be mindful of how I choose to create. I will be mindful of how I spend my time.
And this post is the beginning of being mindful about my thoughts and how I want to share those thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you to have such an inspiring word - and kudos for having a weekly spiritual refreshment with your meditation group!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit. I really appreciate it!