Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Gluei gingersnap Sparkle


This week's challenge from the Order of the Opus Gluei is to create something that sparkles. Easy Peasy, my favorite thing to do. Even my cat has glitter in her fur. And then, I learned that my friend Linda has joined the design team at Gingersnap Creations. Yay Linda!!! Well, I wandered over to their site and became enamoured with a couple of their challenges, and whaddya know, I decided that the sparkly thing I was going to make could also be copper coloured. I guess I shouldn't call it a "thing", but that's what it was as I was galavanting around the Internet. It is now a card. Officially, it was planned as a card for my friend in England, but by the time I finished sparkling and glittering and what-not, it was WAY too heavy to send WAY over there. I don't know if you've ever tried to mail anything in Canada lately, but suffice it to say, I would have had to take out a bank loan. So she doesn't get it.
Whenever I visit (and admire) other folk's blogs, I appreciate how they take the time to explain how they make their creations and the supplies and all that. Me, I'm way too ADHD to do that, for the most part. HOWEVER, tonight I can. cus it was simple. First, I put some copper-coloured cardstock through my Cuttlebug to emboss it. (NO, I don't remember where I got the cardstock from, work with me, will ya?)
Then I embossed it again, using a Dreamweaver stencil and Dreamweaver metallic copper embossing paste. Then I painted a chipboard leaf and flower (from heaven knows where)with copper acrylic paint. Then I covered the flower with glitter and a coppery-thingie (what do they call them, oh yeah, "gem") from Michaels, then I took an earring that I don't wear much anymore from off my dresser and took the hook off it and attached that, then I mounted it all on some flocked cardstock (good grief, I don't know what company made that either, maybe I should just give up) and then I attached some mystery ribbon. To the front and to hold the vellum liner inside.
And that's it.
I've just proven to myself that there is no point whatsoever to try to tell you how I make something, it's an accomplishment for me to just get it made. I feel so traumatized. It's posted. On this blog. So never ask me to do this again. cus that's all you're going to get.

10 comments:

  1. Ooooooh. It sparkles. And it's so shiney. I LOVE this. I also love the "how to", looks like I could have written it. I never remember who made what, or where things came from. LOL. Thanks so much for playing with us at Opus Gluei. I just love your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks wonderful! You know I love a good sparkle, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like all the coppery goodness goin' on here. You rocked it! And Holy Crow, directions? Say it ain't so...great job with them, though. Lovin' the card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girlfriend, this is FANFREAKINGTABULOUS!!! Yes, it's so cool I had to create a new word for it! You have got the magic touch, and it's the PERFECT copper colored beauty for the Gingersnaps Challenge! Thanks for the shout-out and for always inspiring me and making me smile! Great tutorial, too, and you're not at all too ADHD to 'splain it all. Remember, I'm the girl who never knows where her stamp images came from!

    Love you, doll!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful piece and great use of colour! Thanks for playing the Gingersnap Creations Copper, Ginger or Rust Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow!

    i'm wondering about the embossing paste, what is it, how does it work, which part of your card here is the embossing paste? i like the raised curvy lines, is that what came out of the cuddlebug thing?

    cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Artgirl, good to "see you"!
    I was going to explain the process of the paste, but if you go here, you'll find the stencils and a tutorial. This will explain it way better than I can. The raised curlies are dry embossed by putting the cardstock through a Cuttlebug machine with a folder-there are lots of different folders which give you different raised designs. Then the shiny curlies are the embossing paste. I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Embossing paste, like the sound of that. I could get really messy really quickly. Every now and then I get an attack of the organised bug and try and write down everything I use, but I hope the attack passes fast because its the least interesting bit of the whole thing. What did you do with the other ear-ring, or was there only one (I have a jar full of them, just in case the other ones turns up. After several years... I don't think so!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, your post made me giggle out loud to the point where the cat is now staring at me like I'm making a weird noise (which is rich considering what she treated me to last evening). You are too damn funny, and I love that you're like me about remembering where or who made something. And what's so wrong with a glittery cat?

    Love the elements of this, my gosh but you are inventive! I would consider that yes, mailing this to the UK would require a second mortgage. But you've shared it so link it over to them and tell them you're saving the fossil fuel and reducing your carbon footprint by not sending it. Worth a try.

    Love that you get our challenge blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chat Noir, the other earring is now in a jar, just like yours. maybe we should compare and see if we can come up with a matching set or two!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit. I really appreciate it!